My grandson, Sean, is Evil Luke Skywalker for Halloween this year. As part of his costume, he's wearing a cape I made for him. I found a long, black, princess-style dressy dress at a thrift shop for $3. I cut it to just below the waist for the body of the cape. The midriff part of the dress, from the waist to the lower armholes, became the hood. The waist ties of the dress came in handy to make a flap for a buttonhole; it closes with a single button at the neck. The cape is big but it will probably last him many years for other costumes. According to photos of Evil Luke Skywalker, the cape is supposed to be large to make Luke look mysterious or menacing.
Here he is wearing the cape at the zoo last week. My Father-in-Law is steadying him on the lion.
After a frightening encounter with a pet rat, this Dora The Explorer doll was in need of serious hospitalization and surgery. Her upper right arm was almost completely chewed through and there were holes chewed in the back of her head and the back of the shirt.
I patched and stitched the holes in her head. Then I made a completely new shirt and re-stitched it to the good old parts. I created a new upper arm and reattached it to her body then added new stuffing to perk her up. Here's how she turned out:
And here she is waiting to go home again, complete with a bandage:
What do you do with a favorite duvet when the cover begins fraying? Recover it! I did this project for a client who has used this duvet each winter and finds it the perfect weight--not too hot or heavy; not too light or chilly. He had it recovered once in the past but it began fraying along the outside edges and leaking a lot of down. I stitched through the duvet all around at the edge as well as through the two cover layers. Then I turned the duvet inside and stitched the edges again, creating a border that should hold in the down. Then I marked and stitched the baffles lengthwise and crosswise.
It may not look like much but this is a 24 foot x 4 foot beach windscreen made from ripstop nylon. You can see an example and get pattern directions for such a screen on Martha Stewart's website.
My client supplied the ripstop nylon and the plans. This was an adventure to cut and seam given it's extreme length and bulk. I had to invent marking, cutting and sewing techniques plus I needed to perform repeated checks to make sure I was turning hems and stitching the pole tubes all on the correct side of the fabric.